Chicken Quinoa Stew
- 15 Minutes
- 30 Minutes
- 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 thinly sliced carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken or turkey, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour or quinoa flour
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk, heated until steaming
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup drained canned chopped fresh tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté carrots, garlic, onion, thyme, basil, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each, salt, and pepper for about 5 min or until softened. Add chicken; cook, stirring, for 3 min or until white all over. Stir in quinoa.
Whisk flour into broth and stir into pot; bring to simmer, stirring often. Stir in hot milk. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring once, for about 20 min until quinoa is almost tender (reduce heat to low, if necessary, to prevent boiling over).
Stir in peas and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 5 min or until chicken is no longer pink inside and quinoa is tender. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese; season with pepper to taste and up to 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan if desired.